In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Jesup Memorial Library

Bass Harbor Head Light, ca. 1950

Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
MMN Item 23952 Item Details
Bass Harbor Head Light, ca. 1950
MMN Item 23952 Zoom

Description

The Bass Harbor Head Light is located in Bass Harbor. The station was established in 1858. The current tower (32 feet tall, 56 foot high focal plane) was built in 1858. The original optic was a 5th-order Fresnel, but now is 4th-order Fresnel. The lighthouse occults red 4 seconds (3 red, 1 darkness). The lighthouse is an active aid to U. S. Coast Guard navigation.

The lighthouse (1858), keeper's house (1858), oil house (1902), and barn (1905) are still standing.

Photo by A. D. Phillips

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.