In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Jesup Memorial Library

Entrance to Hauterive, Bar Harbor, ca. 1899

Contributed by Jesup Memorial Library
MMN Item 19179 Item Details
Entrance to Hauterive, Bar Harbor, ca. 1899
MMN Item 19179 Zoom

Description

In 1881, William Ralph Emerson designed the first of two shingle-style cottages (the second in 1886) located at what was then called Edenfield. The cottages were designed for Samuel E. Lyons and his son-in-law General William A. Smith. The property was sold to Mrs. Carpenter in 1899. One of the cottages was redesigned by Andrews, Jacques & Rantoul in the Tudor revival style and then renamed by Mrs. Carpenter as Hauterive because of its position overlooking Frenchman Bay.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.